May I help you buy or sell?

May I help you buy or sell?
Don't you wish you lived here?

Friday, May 28, 2010

Negotiation, Negotiation, Negotiation

It has been an incredible couple of weeks. I began working with new buyers on Thursday, taking them out for lunch and learning what they really wanted and needed. Later that afternoon, I did an MLS Search for them, looking for just the right property that matched everything they told me they wanted. By Thursday afternoon, I had sent them links to multiple properties with a few highlighted that really seemed to match their needs. We went to see 4 properties on Saturday, 2 condos and 2 single family homes. The condos were beautifully staged, and priced properly. The first single family home was in need of more repair than my clients were interested in, but the 4th house of the night was just right. I knew as soon as they drove into the driveway that this would be the right place, but this was just the beginning. They called me that night to schedule a second viewing to confirm that this was really the right home for them. Then they called back a half hour later to tell me that they wanted to prepare a purchase and sale offer on the house.

My work had only just begun. I spent the next day researching Comparable Properties to make sure that we were offering a fair price and that they weren't being taken advantage of in the process. Despite many technical challenges (printers crashing, computer freezing, etc), I put together a list of 10 similar properties in a 5 mile radius that had sold in the last 6 months.

By the time I was finished, it appeared that we should offer about 94% of the asking price. My clients spoke to David Duplesis, a mortgage broker for Equity America, and got themselves pre-approved at 9:30 on Sunday night so that their offer would include their pre-approval. In a buyer's market, we should have been finished at that point, but the sellers and their agent countered with 99% of their asking price. We countered back and my clients decided that they were ready to walk away from this property if their offer wasn't accepted. The Sellers countered again at a price my clients felt comfortable paying. We had an agreement.

Now they are choosing their home inspection company, title company, and then, in a few months, a moving company. All of these are products that I can refer them to people I know and feel comfortable working with, though the ultimate choice is theirs. It will continue to be an exciting few months for us until closing, but the deal is negotiated... at least for now. We'll see if any other changes come about after home inspection and appraisal.

If you or someone you know is interested in buying, selling, or renting a home in the Seacoast Region of New Hampshire, have them give me a call or send me an email. I can't guarantee that I will find everyone the right home so quickly, but a truly good agent should really listen to a client's needs and make sure that their time and money is well spent.


Check out my website http://sellwithselig.yourkwagent.com Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/sellwithselig

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on the information provided in this blog. All comments may be removed at the discretion of the blogger.